Wednesday 15 October 2014

Ageing before my Eyes

This Banksia serrata (Old Man Banksia) is on the verge, two-doors up. I guess it takes but a single season to go through the stages of development of this flower. When the kids, invariably, whack off the "old man", I collect them to scatter through my garden. The Banksia serrata is not to be confused with the Banksia grandis (Bull Banksia). The Old Man is found in the SE of Australia, whereas the Bull is found in the SW of Australia. Natively speaking.

7 comments:

Joan Elizabeth said...

That seems very pointy for a banksias serrata cone.

Jim said...

Good contrast there. Great to see you posting again, Julie.

Julie said...

Tell me if you think I am wrong, Joan. I will put up another shot from the same tree.

Julie said...

Thanks, Jim.

diane b said...

He has his eye on you. I love Banksia trees and I have a few in the garden but don't know which ones....I'm hopeless with names of plants. Like your profile...Mrs Gardener.

Joan Elizabeth said...

I don't know if you are wrong. The leaves are serrata like But I did a little hunt around and there is a similar one called banksia aemula. Apparently they are hard to tell apart so I have no hope.

Julie said...

Joan, I checked the serrata against the aemula ... not easy. The aemula bark is more orange, the serrata flower is greyer. The aemula flowers in autumn. I think the aemula leaf is bigger. I think I will stick with the serrata.